Orthopedic Branch, Surgical Division. - Col. Leonard T. Peterson, MC, (fig. 4) was assigned as an orthopedic surgeon to the Surgical Division, Professional Service, Office of the Surgeon General, in September 1943. Upon reporting, he was gi...ven a friendly reception but no orientation or specific assignment of duties-probably because his was a newly created position. Almost immediately, a field trip was made with a group from the Office of the Quartermaster General to study the problem of rebuilt shoes. This trip proved to be very educational and a good introduction to the many duties which were to follow. Shortly thereafter, in December 1943, the Orthopedic Branch was officially established as a part of the Surgical Division. Colonel Peterson became chief of the Branch on 8 December 1943 and continued in this assignment and as consultant in orthopedic surgery to The Surgeon General until near the end of hostilities in 1945.— with Bernae Gunderson and 35 others.
- ▼ 2013 (4)